01/08/2013

St Michael’s Mount

This is the last post from my adventures in Cornwall earlier in July and I really loved our morning spent at St Michael’s Mount. It’s a castle on a very small island just off the beach – at low tide you can walk across the sand, but at high tide a boat is essential (the tide comes in fast too as we watched one couple discover!).

Like most historic buildings it’s full of amazing furniture and atmospheric rooms, my favourite pieces were undoubtedly a blue sofa, sat on by Queen Victoria on her visit to the Mount in the 1800s and a model of St Michaels Mount made of corks by the family’s butler in the 1930s and presented to the family. Can you tell I love objects with a story behind them?

After looking round the castle we stopped for tea and scones (well, I had scones the boyfriend had soup) at the cafe overlooking the mainland. Before browsing a few shops in Marazion, the nearest town, it had picturesque streets like most places in Cornwall and a good number of vintage shops – the best looking one was closed though – boo.

Speaking of vintage we picked up a few bargains for the flat at a car boot this weekend and I think I might have become slightly obsessed, but more on that in another post!







No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...