15/08/2014

Borde Hill Garden – a visit

This was a slightly more special visit than our usual Sunday wanderings as Borde Hill Garden jumped straight to the top of my ‘to visit’ list when I figured out that it was one of the places my grandparents took my brother, cousin and I in the school holidays. I’ve always had this memory of a great day out – sunshine, playing hid and seek, wide open fields, getting stung by a nettle (!) but couldn’t figure out where it was until Borde Hill came up in conversation and that was it – I had to go back!

The garden has all the usual features; rose garden, Italian garden, Victorian greenhouses, Mediterranean garden... all covering 17 acres. The highlights for me were the rose garden (always) and Victorian greenhouses, some of which were beautifully dilapidated and overgrown. Sadly, it was just too humid (one of those really warm days a couple of weeks ago) for us to face a long walk around the adjoining parkland, so instead we made it down to the lake and back before going for a final look in the gardens and playing ‘guess the price’ on their sculpture trail, my favourite was easily the owl pictured below, although he was predictably out of my price range.








5 comments:

  1. Wonderful pictures - I love the look of the rose garden, I can only imagine just how wonderfully perfumed it was. That whole English, walled, cottage garden look is something i'm wanting to attempt in my garden, whether it'll actually turn out that way is another matter but here's hoping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good luck woith your own rose garden! It did smell lovely, I wish I'd collected some of the petals which had fallen on the grass, must remember for next time :)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous photos :) What a shame that owl was too pricey; it's stunning! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, several thousand is more than I have to spend on owl sculptures sadly! xxx

      Delete
  3. I do love a rose garden. There's an old couple just down the road from me, who spend more time in their garden tending their roses than they do indoors! Their garden is stunning, though!

    I can see why you loved the owl sculpture, too. It's very fluid and almost looks like it is in flight.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...